Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Community Episode: Advanced Dungeons and Dragons

I must admit to having never watched Community before, despite really liking Chevy Chase. However, I couldn't miss an episode called "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons". The episode is a very impressive piece of writing, in which a plan is hatched to save "Fat Neil" from his depression by playing some old school AD&D.

The game gets crashed by the evil Pierce who quickly turns the game on its head in a manner to make Malhavoc proud. The episode is far better than the similar effort by "Jessie" (see prior post), as it shows how a game really can run. The episode is below.



The episode is witty, funny, and is the best presentation of D&D I've ever seen on screen. This is another must watch for D&D players, simply for the excellent lines if nothing else (see below). It even handles "Sex and D&D" better than Phil Foglio ever did, something I never thought would be possible.

I personally was inspired to create a soundboard for sound effects to hit while playing. The entire game doesn't use a single miniature, and reminded me of how I used to always run games before 3e. It's interesting to note the materials used, and there's a fourth ed book on the table among the other items, anyone know which one it is?

Other content for your amusement:

An interview with writer Andrew Guest on Wizard's website:
http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4spot/20110202

Some lines from the show (spoiler alert, watch the show first):

Abed introducing Pierce as a character: You notice a 67 year old naked man lying in the grass shivering. . . in about 13 turns he will die of exposure. (points to Jeff) Jeff.
Jeff: I wait 14 turns.


Troy’s first “Dungeons and Dragons” attack: I attack him using my (looks at sheet) additional notes.


Neil: This sword was one of a kind. It was forged by my ancestors.
Pierce: I hump it.



Pierce: I can't hear you over the sound of me rubbing his sword on my balls.
Abed: You have (rolls) successfully rubbed your balls on the sword.



Pierce: I won Dungeons and Dragons, and it was Advanced!


Abed (regarding Pierce's character): He's face down, barely breathing, a pool of blood around him.
Shirley: I can't tell you how long I've dreamed of this moment! . . .In the game.



1 comment:

  1. i really like this informative so very intresting blog you post thanks for sharing food

    ReplyDelete